"Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement: it is a rage. You eat it and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is, as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer of passions." T.H. White

The Godstone and Blackymor, 1959 (First American Edition) Van Rees Press, New York, page 18.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jan 11 – So Close To Home


Well I was tooling around with Google maps to look for nearby areas to fly when time is pressing (which seems like all the time), when I found the best area ever right down the street from my old home.  This place is only about two or three miles from where I live right now and it used to be a horse barn and riding property but the county has recently bought it to turn it into a public park.  They have not started any of the construction yet and don’t plan to for another few years. 

It was raining all morning so I thought that I would drive over and check it out.  I stopped at a nearby house to get the scoop on the area and the nice gentleman informed me that I was welcome to fly on his three acres and that the county had been inviting the public to come and walk the property in the paper.  Perfect!  It is about 50-60 acres of swamp and hardwoods.  I rode around on the dirt roads and saw all of the horse tracks leading around the woods that would be killer to explore.

I went back that afternoon when the rain was down to a drizzle to try to fly Rebel.  I had been bringing Rebel’s weight down a bit and she was sitting at 42.4 and very ready, though a bit wet.  As soon as I set her up, I heard wood ducks deep in the swamp and started to explore.  There is a long shallow lake on the north east side of the property with ducks on it but I had no way of getting over to them to flush without waders.  Oh well, maybe another time.

The rain was picking up so we didn’t have much time for exploring.  A murder of crows decided to drop in and make things even more difficult.  We decided to pack it in and come back another day to better assess this spot, but I think this is just what we needed.  It was quite a bit of fortune to find an easily accessible and unused piece of property in the middle of this town.  Can’t wait to explore it more and find out where the squirrels are.

No comments:

Post a Comment