"Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement: it is a rage. You eat it and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is, as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer of passions." T.H. White

The Godstone and Blackymor, 1959 (First American Edition) Van Rees Press, New York, page 18.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oct. 27 - Squirrel Five

Rebel was low today.  Lowest I have flown him in some time, and I was worried.  I guess i misjudged how much snake he had eaten yesterday because I only gave him a single DOC on the lure, thinking that was adequate.

Regardless, Rebel was keen.  He was dialed in from the start because when I came home to check on him, there was a young squirrel barking at him right outside the mews!  It couldn't have been more than five feet away.  Brave, stupid squirrel…  Instead of just releasing Rebel to take the blasted thing, I took him to the garage for a weigh in.  I was surprised to find him so low at 36.7 ounces with tele on.  I took him right back over to the mews thinking he would fly at the tree with the squirrel in it but nope, he flew right back to a tall pine with a nice vantage.  The squirrel in question was higher in the tree and still barking occasionally but Rebel seemed uninterested.  I was worried that his weight was too low and I was about to call him down for a tidbit when he swooped to a small live oak in the next lot at a different squirrel.

It was too thick in those small live oaks for him to chase effectively, so he waved off into a larger tree.  I was a little concerned that Rebel didn't give chase but looking back, I think he is just a cool headed hunter.  I was planning to walk to the pond to hunt that day but Rebel wasn't following very well and I was still concerned with his weight.  I don't typically like to walk to the pond unless he is spot on because there are too many pets along the way and the neighbors get a little edgy seeing me with this huge bird on my fist.  I turned around and headed back after running into one neighbor.

As I crossed into the vacant lot next door, I started banging on one f the live oaks and spooked a small squirrel.  Rebel flew in immediately and the squirrel was hanging on for dear life hiding directly underneath him.  He couldn't see it so I walked around and scared it into running.  It took off directly up the tree and Rebel missed it twice.  He then patiently laddered up the tree slowly pushing that squirrel higher.  When the squirrel made a break for it out on a limb, he swooped in and caught it.  Rebel once again tried to carry the squirrel.  He actually flew all of the way to another tree and perched on a low limb for a few moments trying to hold himself and the squirrel aloft before admitting futility and settling to the ground.

I got there quickly and helped dispatch the squirrel and traded Rebel off for tidbits.  The lure was ready with half a squirrel so instead of making him wait, I went ahead and blew the whistle and laid out the lure.  He chowed down like a fiend.

It was a great flight, great kill, and great trade off.  I put him up but he was still acting hungry so when I cleaned the squirrel, I brought him out a foreleg and the heart, liver, and lungs.  Rebel was a happy camper in the jumpbox tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment