"Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement: it is a rage. You eat it and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is, as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer of passions." T.H. White

The Godstone and Blackymor, 1959 (First American Edition) Van Rees Press, New York, page 18.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Preparation

Over the next several months, I read and studied everything I could get my hands on about falconry.  I visited websites and called several falconers in South Carolina.  The one thing that was made abundantly clear was that this was not something to be taken lightly.  I was warned at every turn that the level of commitment required to care for a bird of prey was extensive.  It was all quite intimidating at first.  I discovered that there are very few practicing falconers in South Carolina and I despaired of finding someone from whom to learn.

Call it serendipity, call it fate, call it God's hand, but one day at the gym a friend, who had heard of my interest, walked up and told me of a falconer in the area.  Now by this point, I had left countless messages for falconers all around the state trying to learn more and hopefully find a sponsor.  I called Al as soon as I got home and he invited me over to hunt with his bird, Rowdy.  Al's excitement over the sport was infectious to say the least and after a few more hunts, I found myself a sponsor.

The months leading up to trapping season found me making traps.  Lots of traps.  Way, way too many traps.  I made two different Balchatri traps (only refraining from a third by a brief, but momentary, return of sanity), four different pigeon harness traps, and the piece de resistance, my bow net.  Or nets, as I actually made three of them.  Obsessive much?  The last was the inspiration for Laura's question, "Exactly how many traps does it take to trap one bird?"

I read alot.  A whole lot.  I bought every book anyone would recommend.  I began to make all of my equipment and buy that which I could not make.  I drove to Columbia to take my falconry test in May thinking I was far ahead of the game in getting my trapping permit.  Thank goodness I did, as building the mews took quite a bit of time.  I got my inspection soon after my surgery and got my permit right before trapping season started.

No comments:

Post a Comment